Flow and Thermal Energy Measurements within Facility Management
The production of semiconductors is extremely energy intensive and consumes millions of kilowatt hours of electricity and gas every year. Given the sensitivity of the electronic components, all areas must be monitored constantly to ensure optimum conditions (temperature, humidity and number of particles in the air). For this reason, a global semiconductor producer was looking for solutions for an environmentally friendly and cost-saving means of energy production.
One result was a new combined heat and power (CHP) unit and another was the implementation of a certified energy management system. Efficient and automated operation of the highly modern CHP unit requires flow or thermal energy measurement in many places as well as compliance with the requirements of DIN EN ISO 50001. For both options, non-invasive measurement with FLEXIM's FLUXUS proves to be the ideal solution. Since the clamp-on ultrasonic transducers are simply mounted on the outside of the pipe, the measuring equipment is not subject to any wear and tear. Possible maintenance or modifications to the measuring systems do not have any effect on the plant's availability.
Stationary FLUXUS ultrasonic systems measure the power generated during hot water production and distribution as well as the cooling capacity of the absorption chillers. Other measuring tasks include flow measurement in the supply of high purity water as well as flow measurement of municipal water drawn from the municipial drinking water network. Various measuring point parameters are transmitted to the process control system via Modbus. These parameters provide important information on the condition of the plant, the process and the measuring equipment. Operators gain a better understanding of their plants using these measurements and they can also finally determine plant efficiency empirically. They can also identify characteristic values to determine the actual costs for the production of heat and cold in $/kWh(th).
- Reliable and accurate measurement of flow rate and thermal energy
- Reliable recording of measurement data and identification of characteristic values for the certified energy management system (ISO 50001)
- Continuous optimisation of process management through a better understanding of the system
- Non-invasive measuring technique ensures unlimited plant availability
- No risk of contamination during the flow measurement of high-purity water
- Economical solution by using dual channel devices
- By storing measured and diagnostic values in the process control system, the plant and measurement system can be assessed at any time to ensure they are functioning correctly