PIOX® S - Concentration and Mass Flow Measurement by Ultrasound
PIOX® S is primarily used for the concentration analysis during process control, the dosing of chemicals or for overall quality control. Further applications are the supervision of crystallization or phase separation processes for a proper product identification. Alternatively, density, yield rate, Brix or other customer specific measurement values can be displayed.
Combining these features with the integrated volumetric flow measurement , the PIOX S system is capable of calculating the (concentration compensated) mass flow rate.
The ideal "Outsider"
The PIOX® S measuring system, composed of a transmitter and a pair of clamp-on transducers, precisely determines the sonic velocity of the medium based upon the ultrasonic transit-time measured between the two transducers.The clamp-on transducers are mounted on the outer surface of the pipe. As they are not in contact with the medium, the system is ideally suited for the measurement of chemically aggressive, corrosive, abrasive or ultra-pure media.
PIOX® S can be used to determine the concentration of high purity sulfuric acid, hydrofluoric acid, nitric acid or even ammonia gas used in fertilizer plants. Worries about the transducers chemical compatibility, contamination and sealing are a thing of the past.
With the clamp-on technology, retrofitting of existing installations is very easy and can be done without cutting into the pipe and without any process interruption.
The non-intrusive acoustical technique is also the method of choice when the materials and processes place high demands on safety and purity. The Ultrasonic measurement is thus also well suited for the food and beverage industry with its high sanitary standards. Here, it is used to measure the alcohol or sugar content in liquids and is a proven method for CIP process optimization.
PIOX S - the alternative to Coriolis mass flow meters!
Some Processing Industries in Europe and North America already experienced the advantages of PIOX S in their acid plants, currently a couple of others are following – why?
In the past, the standard measuring equipment for the produced acid has been a Coriolis meter.
As within the acid production not only the mass flow, but also the concentration of the acid is of high interest, a high-accurate density measurement is required from the Coriolis, too.
Therefore only the best-spec Coriolis meters are appropriate for the job, making it quite expensive to equip the typically DN50 to DN150 sized production lines.
Even more costs are caused through the fact, that the combination of acid flows with mechanical tensions at the permanently vibrating measuring tube of the Coriolis results in stress corrosion, forcing the instrumentation responsibles to replace the meter every 2 to 5 years – depending on acid strength and medium temperature.
But this is not even the worst of it, as one Plant Manager mentioned: “My experience is, that about two weeks after the Coriolis starts drifting, the (nitric) acid comes out of the cable glands” – forcing sudden plant stop, and a day of production loss.
Understandable, that these people, who try to run a plant 150 days to 1.5 years without any process stop, are highly interested in a clamp-on meter, which can not corrode neither leak, and gives the same performance as a Coriolis at an often lower price.
The reasons to use the PIOX S (Mass Flow) meter in such environments are its clear advantages:
- Easy installation of the measurement system clamp-on at the outer pipe surfac
- No corrosion – no fluid contact
- No process stop for installation or maintenance
- Combined concentration and mass flow measurement
No Bypass solution necessary
Process analysis using ultrasound is an innovative method for the concentration analysis of liquids. The advantage of the measurement with clamp-on transducers lies in its non-intrusiveness. Besides, the system is capable of an accurate and reliable (mass)flow measurement.
The velocity of sound, as well as the liquids density, boiling point or refractive index, are substance specific parameters. The determination of the sound velocity is therefore an excellent tool for a sophisticated process analysis.
The sonic velocity is measured by transducers mounted on the outside pipe wall (clamp-on):
Both transducers are alternatively emitting and receiving ultrasonic signals. The sonic velocity within the medium is then calculated based on the mean value of the signals transit-time, where the transit-time within the pipe wall is accounted for. A temperature probe, also mounted in clamp-on or inline configuration, transmits the mediums temperature. Based on the measured sonic velocity and temperature, the desired process parameters, such as concentration, density, solid contents, yield, and more, are calculated by the transmitter.
Moreover, by measuring the transit-time difference, the flow velocity and (mass) flow rate can accurately be determined.
PIOX® S is the ideal measurement tool for the concentration monitoring of chemically aggresive and corrosive media, as well as for processes that demand high standards in regard to purity, cleanness and protection against possible contaminations - such as in the food and beverage industry.
- Determination of the concentration of highly concentrated sulfuric acid
- Monitoring polymerization, crystallization, neutralization, phase separation, etc...
- Determination of the concentration of sodium hydroxide
- Determination of the concentration of ethanol
- Detection of hydrofluoric acid
- Measurement of water concentration in Caprolactam
- Concentration and mass flow measurement of Nitric Acid, Sulfuric Acid and Phosphoric Acid
- Concentration and mass flow measurement of Sodium/ Potassium Hydroxide
- Concentration and mass flow measurement of Ammoniac and Ammonium Nitrate Solutions
- Measurement of cleaning agents and solvents
Food and Beverage Industry
- CIP optimization through product identification
- Control of the concentration of sugar solutions
- Measurement of sugar content (°Brix)
- Monitoring of the concentration of coffee extract
- Determination of the alcohol content
Advantages of PIOX S:
- Non-Intrusive, Installation without process interruption (clamp-on)
- No contact with the medium, no special materials necessary
- Hygenic measurement method, suitable for ultrapure media
- No pressure loss, no risk of leakage, no contamination
- No chemical compatibility issues, , watertight, no pressurized parts
- Maintenance free, no corrosion or abrasion
- Integrated, highly dynamic flow measurement
- Transducers are available for a wide range of inner pipe diameters (6mm...6500mm)
- Temperature range: -40°C ... +200°C
- ATEX, IECEx, FM approved transducers for hazardous areas available
- Additionally all features of the ultrasonic flow meters FLUXUS® ADM 7407 and ADM 7907 are available.