Compressed Air Flow Measurement for Consumption Analysis
A leading sugar producer in the UK has invested around £1 billion in the last years to improve process efficiency at its manufacturing sites by installing leading technology in energy efficiency and process optimisation.
The processors operate robust management systems for business and environment, which revolve around the principle of continuous monitoring, review and improvement. All factories have adopted the following industry-leading standards: BRC, ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001.
The UK beet sugar industry is committed to achieving a 30% reduction in the amount of energy used to manufacture each tonne of granulated sugar by 2020 (as measured against a 1990 baseline). In an effort to use energy as efficiently as possible, there is also a focus on the compressed air supply.
Nowadays, the labour-intensive process of sugar production is largely carried out using automated machinery. Compressed air plays an important role. However, it is a very expensive form of energy. This is due to its efficiency. For every Joule of mechanical work which is done with a pneumatic tool, approximately twenty times the amount of electrical energy must be spent.
It is thus crucial to accurately and reliable measure the amount of compressed air generated and spent to determine efficiency potentials. With the portable FLUXUS G601 CA Energy ultrasonic flowmeter, the plant engineers now have the ideal all-purpose tool for tapping these potentials. Since the clamp-on ultrasonic transducers are simply mounted on the outside of the pipe, measurements do not affect normal plant operation in any way nor can they be a source for potential leaks. The ability to measure quantities of compressed air drawn off by individual consumers and the ability to trace leakages form the basis for optimising the compressed air supply.
In addition to that, the FLUXUS G601 CA Energy can also be used for simple flow measurements of liquids and heat / cold flow rates, tapping further energy efficieny potentials within the plant environment.
- Reliable and accurate compressed air flow measurement from the outside of the pipe
- No pipe work needed to set up a temporary flow measuring point, no interruption to normal plant operation
- Portable all-purpose device that works on virtually all pipes and fluids
- Unmatched versatility: one single measuring system for countless different measuring tasks - also for the measurement of thermal energy and liquid flows
- Easy to use software for downloading results to your PC or laptop
- Easy evaluation of measurement data through intelligent internal diagnostic tools