Overflash Mass Flow Measurement at 380°C
- Bitumen at Oil Sand Facility
- Fluidized Catalytic Cracker - FCC
- Gas Flow Measurement at the main Fuel Gas Header
- Heat Transfer Oil at High Temperatures
- Heavy Crude Oil flow measurement
- Heavy Gasoil in Vacuum Destillation Tower
- Highly Viscous Coker and Visbreaker Feed
- Hot Pitch During the Distillation of Coal Tar
- Measurement of Bitumen at 370°C
- Overflash Mass Flow Measurement at 380°C
- Portable Measurement of Different Media
- High temperature flow measurement for coker control
The overflash volume in atmospheric distillation is an important indicator for effective and well balanced operation of the distillation column. A precise measurement of this quantity poses a special challenge.
Driven only by gravity, the medium moves at very low flow velocities of around 0,15 m/s, with a maximum flow rate of 10 tons/hr. Therefore, in order to reach a reasonable accuracy, the previously installed orifice plates had very small diameters. This resulted in a high pressure loss which could almost not be overcome by the hydrostatic conditions.
Another challenge for the measuring system was the high medium temperature of around 380 °C. After successful testing, a flow measuring system using FLEXIM's WaveInjector was installed at the measuring point, which is located in an ATEX 1 explosion hazard zone. The installation was completed without any modification to the existing system.
The higher accuracy of the overflash measurement now allows a drastic improvement in process efficiency. The investment costs were quickly paid for by the higher yield.
Measurement without any pressure losses
Reliable measurement even at very low flow velocities
Easy upgrading without intrusion into the pipe system
Highly improved accuracy in comparison to conventional orifice meters